Pavia is an ancient town in southwest Lombardy that is an important fertile area for the production of dairy products, including famous gorgonzola cheese. Not so well known is this nutritious soup which can be made in minutes. Use good country style bread with an open crumb such as cibatta; use the freshest eggs, and the clearest beef or chicken broth. Watch Mary Ann Esposito make Poached Egg Soup at CiaoItalia.com!
- 4 thick slices cibatta bread
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 4 cups boiling hot beef or chicken broth (preferably home-made)
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Melt some butter in a non stick pan and fry the bread slices until golden. Place one slice in each of 4 soup bowls.
- Crack an egg on top of each slice of toast and sprinkle each with a tablespoon of cheese. Carefully pour 1 cup of broth down the side of each bowl.
- Place the bowls on a rimmed baking sheet and place the sheet in the oven for about 7 to 8 minutes or until the eggs have just solidified and are lightly poached.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven.Sprinkle the top of the eggs with salt and pepper to taste; sprinkle parsley over the tops and serve.